Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Car trouble. Again.

Well I got the boy ready for school this morning, got up late and got ready on time which was quite amazing, anyway I walked outside, beautiful day I might add, 28c, opened the gates to the carport to get the car out,
only to find that it wouldn't start.

Instead it made a horrible noise similar to tapping a bolt on tin but much faster which freaked me out a bit not knowing what could make that sound, so I rang scott and asked him what it could be, he said "it sounds like the starter motor isn't getting enough power from the battery to start the car, you need to charge the battery with the charger in the laundry."
hmm i think, this will be fun.
I've seen people do it many times, but until this day still haven't done it by myself.
So i got everything i needed together and went about taking the terminals off the battery. There was my first problem. I couldnt find a spanner the right size or an adjustable one either so I used a pair of multigrips to undo the bolt. Success! I got the red one off, but couldnt get the multigrips to fit under the alarm box to be able to turn the bolt on the black terminal, next thing i knew there was a tschhhh! sound and the multigrips were sparking in my hand! So, I, being absolutely ignorant, paranoid and terrified of either electricity, power sources or gas, threw the multigrips and ran inside to call someone for help. (I'm such a drama queen.) I couldn't ring Scotti at work again, I didn't want to get him in trouble, so I rang my mate Mick (who I knew was on his lunchbreak) and he explained to me what would be the not-to-do's of playing with batteries and electricity. After a lengthy discussion my nerves had calmed suitably for me to try again. So I searched another of Scotts toolboxes (the bastard has many of them) and finally found a 10mill which fitted perfectly AND fitted under the alarm box. I finally managed to get the black terminal off and hook up the battery charger clamps. I nearly forgot to loosen the... hmm what are they called. 'the yellow caps on the top of the battery' so I did that, crossed my fingers and turned the on the power switch at the other end of the extension cord. Success!
At first I had a red light and an orange light and now theres a really faint green light as well so i guess that means its working.
^^I wrote that about 2pm today, sitting out the back having a smoke. I figured if it was going to blow up in a 10 meter vicinity of me, I might as well SEE it lol
no really, my mate said to "sit out the back , have a smoke and keep an eye on it" though I have no idea why
Heres a photo of my amazing skills lmao

Yes I know, my car is FILTHY.
Water Restrictions. That's my excuse.

No comments: